YIKES! I Think That’s Mold!
What is hidden behind your walls?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If you think you may have a mold infestation, let SERVPRO of North Clay County / Oakleaf / North Middleburg in Orange Park, Fl. put your mind at ease. Call us at (904) 861-8870.
Factors That Can Affect Mold Cleanup Time
Check closets and rooms unused often to ensure you don't have hidden mold growth
Professional remediation of microbes per Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) protocols addresses multiple factors contributing to home mold damage.
Typical home microbial cleanup takes less than a week, usually between one and five days, depending on the level of contamination. It may take only several hours at most for small amounts of surface-level mold. Heavily contaminated buildings, such as those with extensive flood damage that can increase microbial growth, may take more time to repair and replace unsalvageable components.
SERVPRO professionals consult with homeowners about the mold cleanup process to formulate a comprehensive restoration plan, which can include:
- Containment procedures that prevent mold from spreading are implemented with polyethylene sheeting over doorways and vent registers. Technicians can also perform temporary duct sealing services to prevent HVAC from spreading spores during remediation
- Technicians can also clean contaminated sheet metal vents with OSHA-approved sanitizers and replace flex ducts impacted by mold.
- SERVPRO personal protective equipment (PPE) allows technicians to clean and remediate spores safely. PPE is decontaminated in a designated space to prevent mold damage from spreading unintentionally during cleanup
- SERVPRO crew members prevent spores from floating in the air with HEPA-filter air scrubbers that can lower local air pressure in a sealed room, which causes microbes to sink to the floor for thorough cleanup with vacuums that can catch microbes as minuscule as 0.3 microns
- Controlled demolition on unsalvageable sheetrock, insulation, and other components allows techs to prepare affected areas for structural repairs, reinstallation and repainting as needed
Here in Orange Park, Middleburg, Oakleaf and Jacksonville you can depend on SERVPRO of North Clay County/Oakleaf/North Middleburg to assess the damage and give a qualified opinion to assist you in making decisions on remediation. You can reach us at 904-861-8870 to speak with a certified mold remediator at no charge.